In case the regular CERN vehicles are not suitable or unavailable, CERN Mobility centre (Globe Car Park, building 6167) provides a leasing service via an external contractor for cars and utilitary vehicles. The rental vehicles are available to members of the CERN personnel and contractors' personnel, in the framework of their professional activities at CERN only.
Use of the car rental service is subject to the following general conditions:
- Use of vehicles belonging to or rented by CERN is governed by Operational Circular No. 4 and by reference to document DSU-OF/DO/RH/6833;
- In all cases, use of the service requires authorisation by the Department head or team leader concerned ("permis V" – authorisation to drive a CERN vehicle – plus a mission order if the vehicle is to be driven outside the authorised perimeter).
Anyone driving a vehicle belonging to or rented by CERN must be able to present the following documents at any time :
- his CERN card;
- his valid national driving licence;
- the vehicle documents (registration document, insurance “green card”, etc.);
- valid travel documents (national passport or other travel document recognized in Switzerland and France) with the necessary visas, where required;
- his legitimation documents issued by the Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs and the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs, or his CERN Attestation issued by the Users' Office or the Human Resources Department.
In addition, the vehicle must carry a European Road Accident Report form.
The membre of personnel can rent a vehicle from the following categories:
- category ECMR: Audi A1, Citroen C3, Seat Ibiza, or alike;
- category CDMR: Volkswagen Golf, Citroën C4, Volvo V40, or alike;
- category CDAR: Opel Astra, Ford Focus, Renault Captur, or alike;
- category CWMR: Fiat Tipo, Opel Astra, Hyundai I30, or alike;
- category IDMR: Citroen C4 Picasso, or alike;
- category IDAR: Alfa Giuila,BMW 1 serie, Mercedes-Benz A classe, or alike;
- category IWMR: Mazda 6, BMW 2 serie, Ford Mondeo, or alike;
- category FDAR: BMW 3 serie, Mercedes-Benz C classe, Volvo V60, or alike;
- category SDAR : Peugeot 3008, Nissan Qashqai, Hyundai Tucson, or alike;
- category SVMR (7 seats - for 7 adults please consider cat. FVMR): Ford Galaxy, Ford Tourneo, or alike;
- category FVMR (9 seats): Mercedes-Benz Vito, or alike;
- utilitary 6 m3: Ford Transit;
- utilitary 8 m3: Ford Transit;
- utilitary 10 m3: Fiat Ducato;
- utilitary 12 m3: Fiat Ducato;
- utilitary 16 m3: Fiat Ducato; Mercedes Spinter.
Reservation is only possible for a vehicle category, not for a particualr model of vehicle; the above description is an example and the car model mentioned is subject to change.
The member of personnel submits a request through the Service Portal:
This form must be completed and submitted at least 48 hours in advance (non-working days excluded).
Rental requests may be cancelled up to 24 hours before the scheduled start of the rental period. Any cancellation beyond this limit will incur charges.
Cancellations are to be notified through the ticket created in Service-Now by the initial request
4.3 Collection and return
Please refer to KB0005612
The minimum vehicle reservation period is 24 hours. EDH documents will be created for each request and the approval is mandatory to proceed with the collection of the car.
Please note that additional fees might be charged by the external rental company (fuel, options, damages, delays, etc...)
To report the breakdown of a vehicle belonging to or rented by CERN, the member of personnel must submit a ticket through the Service Desk:
Operational Circular no 4 outlines the steps to follow in case of accident with a vehicle or leased by CERN.
Special rates are available through HERTZ for renting private vehicles for CERN personnel (MPE, MPA, contractors' personnel ...) with a valid access card.
Discount code for private rental is : CDP-675758 (link with private rates here)
For any additional questions, please contact directly HERTZ (+41 (0) 22 716 30 80)